This course is designed for the student to learn advanced cold food production and charcuterie as well as Modern Cuisine techniques. This course will allow the student to develop advanced principles of the cold kitchen and modern cooking techniques and equipment. 3.5 hrs. integrated lecture/lab/wk.
Instructor will provide syllabus and all products needed. Student is expected to show up with hair up and out of their face, clean clothes and close-toed shoes. Aprons will be provided. Chef jackets are encouraged.
Upon successful completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Discuss the fundamental aspects of food sculpture and decoration.
- Prepare foods utilizing modern cuisine methods and equipment.
- Successfully brine-cure and dry-cure meat and demonstrate basic fundamentals of slicing and serving these items.
- Design, prepare and present cold entrées, soups and intermezzos.
- Prepare marinades and pickles for meat, vegetables and fish.
- Process meat, fish, shellfish and vegetables for hams, corned beef products, salami, pates and terrines.
- Discuss the fundamentals of the HACCP food safety protocol.
- Produce pates, terrines and galantines and demonstrate basic fundamentals of slicing, glazing and displaying these items.
- Produce cold sauces, including relishes and chutneys.
- Demonstrate production techniques for cocktail sandwiches, hors d’oeuvres, canapés and other cold plated appetizers.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of sausage making techniques.
- Recognize and demonstrate productive attitudes and work habits in the kitchen.
Content Outline and Competencies:
2. Food Preparation
3. Food Presentation
4. Competition pieces
Each course length: 3 hours
Each course cost: $150
Each course requirements: Speak with instructor