Yield: 4 PEOPLE
Prep time:10 MINS
Cook time:17 MINS
Total time:27 MINS
This paleo, gluten-free and low-fat Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet will be ready to dig in less than 30 mins and you will be amazed by the flavorful of it. It’s a perfect ONE-PAN meal for your family to enjoy!
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lbs free range extra-lean ground turkey — (you also can use grass-fed ground beef)
- 1 tsp garlic clove — minced
- ½ cup onions — diced
- ½ cup yellow pepper — diced
- 1 ½ cups sweet potato — diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
- In an iron cast skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add ground turkey and garlic. Use a wood spoon breaking up the turkey while it cooks. Stir occasionally and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and yellow peppers and cook until onions are soft.
- Add the sweet potato, chili pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the skillet and cook until they are tender. Don’t forget to stir occasionally. If necessary, add more olive oil or a little bit of water to cook the sweet potato faster.
- Garnish with parsley.
4 Tips to make the best Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet recipe:
- Don’t overload your skillet with sweet potato because this veggie will take forever to cook and you may burn your food. If your cast iron skillet is 9-10 inches, the ideal amount of diced sweet potato is between 2-3 cups.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and reduce the heat to medium to cook the sweet potato faster.
- Or you can cook first the sweet potato and add it into the pan when the ground turkey is cooked.
- You can also add other type of spices you have in your kitchen to make this recipe even more flavourful. According to some readers’ reviews, this recipe is also good with such as cumin, curry, paprika, sage, chilli powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary and hot sauce.
- And some readers said that they added kale, spinach and mushroom as well, which make this recipe even more delicious and nutritious. I’ve already made this recipe with broccoli and green beans and it worked very well too. So, be open to add more veggies if you wish.